PE and Sports Awards
This year we will continue to receive the Primary PE and Sports Premium. This is an initiative that aims to help increase and improve the PE and sporting opportunities for children. It was first provided in the 2013/14 academic year and the current government has pledged to continue this funding until further notice.
As a school our aim is to use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport we offer. This means that we need to use the premium to develop or add to the PE and sport activities that the school already offers. Also to build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years.
There are 5 key indicators that we aim to meet when planning how to utilise the funding, these include:
• The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity - the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
• The profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
• Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
• Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
• Increased participation in competitive sport
Sports Premium at Lady Elizabeth Hastings
At Lady Hastings we use the Sport Premium Funding to improve and enhance the quality of PE, physical activity and Sport provision in the following ways:
- Providing staff with high quality training and CPD for increased skills, knowledge, understanding and confidence in gymnastics, dance and athletics. A full action plan has been put in place to develop sports and PE at Lady Hastings.
- Providing cover staff to release teachers for professional development in PE and sport.
- Purchasing schemes of work and good quality equipment that allows skills in the key areas to be developed progressively through each year group.
- Buying into Active Schools to develop city wide initiatives in Leeds.
- Buying into the Brigshaw Learning Partners Sports offer to provide further professional development for our staff and provide more opportunities for inter-school competitions.
- Developing termly intra-school competitions for all children through membership of the Youth Sports Trust.
- Increasing pupil participation in a wide range of extra-curricular sports clubs. We will continue to develop links with these clubs. This will enable us to offer links for our gifted and talented sports people.
- Extending swimming lessons for individual children to ensure that they meet the 25m swimming distance outcome before they leave Primary school.
Sports activities through the Brigshaw Trust- Please see attached document Brigshaw Trust Sport and PE Offer
Please find attached the Sports Premium information for our school.
- Improved teacher knowledge and confidence in delivering PE across all key stages
- An increase in the number of pupils taking part in extra-curricular sport and physical activity
- An increase in the numbers of pupils taking part in inter school sport
- An improvement in the quality of PE lessons within schools
- A higher profile and importance placed on PE within the school and the Trust
- A clear identification of strengths and areas to further develop within PE
Meeting national curriculum requirements for swimming and water safety July 2023
What percentage of your current Year 6 cohort swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres? Assessed Spring Term 2019
What percentage of your current Year 6 cohort use a range of strokes effectively [for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke]?
What percentage of your current Year 6 cohort perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations?
Schools can choose to use the Primary PE and Sport Premium to provide additional provision for swimming but this must be for activity over and above the national curriculum requirements. Have you used it in this way? Yes